Monday, May 18, 2009

We are so brave

Last Wednesday my daughter Whitney and I took our old van on a 9 hour drive to Broken Arrow, OK to visit my son Mike and his family. Our old Honda Odyssey survived our odyssey without any problems in spite of hitting shredded tires on the freeway and a speed bump in Mike's neighborhood at warp speed! (Sorry for sharing your mad cap driving skills Whit!) We even made it safely back home in spite of my insistence that "I've driven this way before ...of course I know where I'm going. NOT!

We had a great time visiting Mike and Jess, Ben, Gracie and Breeny. What sweet and cute little ones. I wish I could take you home with me and hug you all day long! I'm sure you would get tired of it after 5 minutes but it would make my day. We watched Gracie at her ballet class, played lots of games, watched the latest in children's programing, had picnic's out side where we saw a bunny streak across the yard, tried to build a bunny trap to catch it, watched the kids ride their bikes, picked up Ben from Pre-K, went to the mall to see a movie, and even made it up to Bartlesville to see our old house.

Thanks to Grandma Stacey we got to see some llama's, chickens, parakeet's and even ride a horse (well ...Whit and the grandkids did). I took Whitney on a tour of her old home town while Jess and the kids visited with her mom. It was fun to see how familiar everything still was. We finished our tour by driving to our old neighborhood so Whitney could see our old house. I think this is the first time she's been back since we moved to Texas 11 years ago. Other than a new red door and a few missing trees it still looked the same. We even had a quick bite to eat at Braum's. Yumm!

Then it was time to meet up with the kids for an evening at the kiddie park. It was so much fun just watching the grandkids having a great time. Hard to imagine what we did for entertainment before they were around! We stayed until the park closed down and just as we were heading to our car a storm front blew through. Good timing ...even though we drove home through wind and rain, we made it to the car without getting wet.

This will probably be the last time we have a reason to go to Oklahoma because Mike and Jess are in the process of moving to Manhattan, Kansas ...home to an f-4 tornado in 2008! They were headed there on a house hunting trip just after we started our drive back home. It will probably be a 12 hour drive for us from Sugar Land to Manhattan but still do able. I think....?!? Hope they are able to find something soon since Mike is already working there.

We had a great time and appreciate Gary and Stephen for holding down the fort for us while we were gone, and for Mike and Jess for letting us come and play! I will post some pictures of our visit in the next day or so.

No comments: